Friday, November 18, 2011

Its a Boy!!!

It has been a busy couple of weeks!  Most people know by now that we found out that we are having a BOY, and we are very excited!!!

Z was able to come to the appointment that day (Tuesday Nov. 8), which was really fun.  It was the first time he would meet our doctor, and hear the heartbeat of the baby.  He had to come straight from base, but he made it with plenty of time.  We had talked about it, and we decided that we wanted to find out the sex of the baby during the appointment so that we could have the doctor show us what she saw (or didn't see!).  I was nervous.  I know, weird.

We are still laughing a little bit about how the big news came to us --- it wasn't at all like we expected! You'd think the doctor would do a grand announcement, but that isn't quite what we got.  She started the sonogram and noticed right away that the baby was moving around like crazy.  I was told by a friend to drink some orange juice before we went so the baby would move into various positions.  Well...I drank a LOT of orange juice.  Oops.  Anyway --- the doctor was having a hard time taking still shots or even seeing anything because of the dance party that the baby was having.  She finally managed to show us the heart, the spine and ribs, brain, legs, and we even got a picture of a hand (five fingers!).  As she was scanning over all of this, she was able to get up underneath and show us the two legs.   She said "okay....well, there are some legs...and there is the scrotum and the penis....and lets see some feet.....".  That was it!  I immediately said, "whoa whoa whoa, what did you say?  So it's a boy?"  and she said "Yep."    She is very quiet in her normal conversation anyway, but when she gave us this major news, it was almost like she was telling it to herself!  Z and I were still super excited, but it just cracked us up that we had to ask to make sure.

The news made my mouth drop open.  There is a myth that pilots rarely have boys because the radiation from the jet burns up the "boy makers."  I've had that in the back of my mind, so I truly thought we would have a girl.   I had no preference either way....but Z was so excited that he started laughing.  It was really, really fun!!  We got to see the evidence twice, so we feel pretty confident.  It is great!

Since the appointment, Z has been daydreaming about all of the things he'll be able to do.  Most of it revolves around coaching the kid's hockey team.   :)

We went out to the car and made phone calls to our parents and siblings, but then Z had to go back to base.  I went to a friend's house where a few ladies were waiting to hear the news.  It was a fun day.   Sonogram pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment