We have a two month old!
Wow. That was fast, but we have learned so much over the past eight weeks. I feel like we have adjusted to life with our new little guy, thanks to a daily run of trial and error to answer our constant questions. What is the best way to bathe him? Why does his pee leak out the top of the diaper EVERY time? How do you clip nails that small? Is breast milk different than formula...and if so, how much do we give him? We eventually figure out the answers…and luckily, Sam is very patient with us.
It is funny how something so life altering as a baby can feel like your new “normal” so quickly. I can’t really imagine our life without Sam. The washer and dryer are constantly running, the house is not nearly as clean, and dinner is not always ready. But man, it is the best.
Check Up:
He had his two month well-baby appointment on May 9th, and it went very well. His weight was 11 pounds 6 ounces (in the 44th percentile), and his height was 23 inches (in the 54th percentile). He gained two pounds in a month! I was really pleased. We were able to sit with the pediatrician for awhile to ask a few questions (I had quite the list), and then we were off to immunizations for his shots. I seriously felt like I was going to throw up as we got him ready. Thankfully, Zach was able be there…although, he was just laughing at me the whole time. I had been dreading the appointment all morning (well….since he was born, actually), so I was kind of a mess. Sam got one oral injection and three shots in his thighs --- each shot had a few different things in it --- but he did well. He screamed after all three had gone in, but we rushed out to the lobby to get a bottle going. After that he was fine. The afternoon at home was off and on with sleeping and crying , but his night was normal. What a trooper. It is me that needs to toughen up.
Eating:
Sam is getting a combo of breastmilk and formula. He takes a 5 ounce BM bottle every 3 hours during the day, and for his last bottle before bed, we give him 4 ounces of formula. It fills him up enough so we usually don’t hear from him until between 4:00-6:00 a.m. I still get up to pump every three hours throughout the night, but that feels normal now --- just part of the routine! Each time we feed him, we try to stop at about two ounces to burp him....but he has definitely learned what we’re doing, so the instant we start getting him into position, he lets out an impressive squeal to let us know that this pause is unacceptable. I know I shouldn't laugh, but I think its pretty funny.
Sleeping:
We seem to get between 6 and 8 hours from him at night now, which is amazing. My pumping schedule interrupts my sleep, but my boys are well rested.
He takes short 10-15 minute naps during the day, but they are just long enough for me to do something productive each time --- first nap, take a shower, second nap, blow dry my hair, third nap slap on some make-up. By dinner time I am looking pretty decent.
Other Fun:
He is really starting to find his voice. He LOVES his changing pad and the round mirror we have hanging above it --- he used to just gaze up at it, but now he looks and likes to discuss what he sees. They are just short shouts, but he looks at us when he does it, and we do what we can to carry on the conversation.
He finds and follows our voices, and he is starting to smile when something makes him happy.
He has an impressive grip with his little fists! I learned this the hard way during two separate interactions that involved my hair and some hoop earrings. Any dangly jewelry has been temporarily retired.
We have a soft blue bunny that we keep at his changing table that has become his little buddy. He likes to grip the ears, and we like to rub the fur on Sam’s tummy --- he seems to like the softness because it makes him smile.
We just can’t get enough of him. I posted a video below, but he isn't doing a whole lot. I have a great one on my phone that has him babbling on about his plans for the day, but the file was too big to email and upload. Oh well.
On to month three!
On to month three!

No comments:
Post a Comment